From Wikimedia ZA
Revision as of 13:19, 2 September 2013 by Slashme (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Minutes of Wikimedia South Africa Annual General Meeting, 2013



The meeting was held at Truth Coffee, at the Prestwich Place Memorial in Cape Town. The Memorial is located at the corner of Buitengracht St and Riebeek St, Cape Town. David Richfield and Maarten were present via Skype™


  • 1 September 2013 at 10:00 - 12:00


Review and approval of agenda

Agenda approved.

Approval of previous meeting minutes

11-08-13-Minutes and 2012-09-01-Minutes and 2012-11-17-Minutes reviewed and approved.


Meeting has a quorum

State of Wikimedia ZA

Nature of relationship between Africa Centre and Wikimedia ZA


The previous MOU was written in 2012, and lapsed in Dec 2012. Since then it has not been renewed or discussed.

Discussion of Isla's role

At the last board meeting, it was proposed that Isla be put forward as a WMZA director, along with Bobby Shabangu. Her proposed role was discussed as follows:

Isla would be wearing two hats: passion for WM movement as well as work with The Africa Centre (TAC). TAC has an Africa-wide agenda and supports the work on the African continent. WMZA has a national agenda, but is in a position to support and assess new groups across africa. WikiAfrica is an international collaboration along with Universities and other organisations which work to create content on Africa, and is therefore aligned with the strategy of WMZA.

TAC was managing money for WMZA, which was constructive in terms of building confidence with the WMF. Isla will propose an updated MOU, but as director of WMZA, will abstain from voting on the MOU. She will however not be barred from other votes.

Discussion of relationships with other organisations

Alan mentioned that ISOC-ZA was initially funded through membership fees, but from 2000, they sold platinum memberships (to companies) to raise funds, and were therefore not a pure civil society any more, as they were now influenced by industry. They are partly funded by the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), and .org registry fees are their main source of income. ISOC-ZA has similar goals to WMZA (e.g. openness, interoperability) - neither of us want to be controlled by industry, and we have strong industry players in SA.

We also have similar structures, so Alan has shared experiences on national, regional, global levels. One can easily spend lots of effort on fundraising, but in his experience, money will come if the project is well planned.

Alan also suggested that WikiAfrica should have a representative on WMZA and potentially other regional boards.

Isla recommends that we support each other, and have formal alliances with aligned organisations.

Alan recommends that ISOC and WMZA co-market each other's events.

David mentions that WMZA can market ISOC events on social media pages - Isla and Douglas explain that we can only use geonotices on Wikipedia for events that are specific to Wikimedia work.

Further discussion on types of geonotices followed. Douglas: explained that there are two types:

  • Dedicated editors and target specific areas using ISP address blocks. We have not found these very effective.
  • Another type can be set up by an administrator on Meta. It can be targeted to countries but not more specific than that. This is effective. It would be useful if WMZA can have an admnistrator on Meta, but this isn't necessary. Douglas has built up contacts who can help quickly.

Isla proposes that we create formal alliances with like minded organizations (Commons ZA, OEZA) through Memoranda of Understanding.

Maarten requests confirmation of whether organisations can become members of WM ZA. David clarifies that organisations can join as per paragraph 4.4.5 of our articles of association. This is a membership, but other types of collaboration are possible, e.g. the proposed joint marketing, joint financial management, etc. Depending on the arrangement, it can be arranged by MoU, email, or minutes of meetings (depending on importance)

This kind of connection shoud be managed by a specific member of WMZA to provide continuity.

Banking situation

David explains that we have received an updated list of directors, but it has duplicates, and Lourie appears three times. David did not update it to exclude Lourie, and a new request will cost us R750 through Snijder & Associates. This cost was approved by the members present. In the meantime, David and Dumisani will take the updated list to FNB on Monday to get Charlene removed as a signatory.

Maarten suggests that we also investigate credit card and other means of payment like PayPal.

Dumisani suggests that we consider another service provider for company registration and financial services. Isla and Douglas to find an alternative to handle these matters. An accounting firm might prove more efficient.

Alan mentions that ISOC isn't a registered NPO: it's a voluntary association. It's only responsible to its members, not registered as a company.

Approval of expenses

Isla: Approvals need to happen faster. Need responses in reasonable time.

Maarten: Code_of_discipline_for_directors needs to be corrected. New recommendation is approved:

  • Under 1,000 ZAR: BOARD MEMBER. Administrative support by (deputy) TREASURER1
  • Under 10,000 ZAR: REQUESTER + other BOARD MEMBER + (deputy) TREASURER
  • 10,000 ZAR or more: BOARD approval



Douglas: Grant application can be found at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_ZA/2013_OSF_bridging_funding

We have a capcity constraint, and OSF was willing to help. The plan is to employ 1 person. One director to manage this person; hold them accountable, train and integrate into WMZA.

In August, the OSF sent Douglas an email to confirm that we got a R200k grant (half what we applied for) if we raise a matching R200k. We hope to raise the remaining funds from the WMF: Douglas has been in contact with them. The draft is finished, needs feedback from the rest of the WMZA board.

Comment from Alan: The Foundation for Internet Development was funded by previous .co.za domain admins. FID hasn't had strong leadership, and the money is eroding quickly now. They need new leadership, and WMZA can help. ISOC would support us if we applied for a community grant from them. We would be able to put the cost of trips, AGM, etc, into this document (for example some costs related to WikiIndaba). Funding staff members' salaries is less preferred by funding agencies, due to potential HR issues - e.g. ISPA is outsourced to Future Foundation (ff.co.za) WAPA have outsourced their management to ellipsis (internet lawyers) - ellipsis also does the outsourced management for some organisations.

This would not align with our grant application to the OSF, though.

GAC vs FDC - Project grants vs programme grant (annual). GAC doesn't pay for staff. After a few successful projects, we'll be able to apply for FDC funding.

Douglas requests that all board members look at the grant application today and comment, then we will collaborate with the GAC to get a response.

Updates from Wikimania 2013

  • Meetings with African Wikimedians
    • Constructive discussions post Global South Strategy:
      • Sub-Saharan Africa not a priority
      • Strong support from other African Wikimedians to respond to this.
      • Constructive discussions with WMF role players in terms of what can be done.
    • 10 African countries represented at Wikimania
    • WikiIndaba discussions
  • Strong support for Wikimania Cape Town 2015 (including London bid member)
  • Presentations:
    • Activating Africa Panel
    • Joburgpedia presentation
  • Wikipedia Zero discussion and film (by Victor): huge emotional connection with Wikimania attendees.

Expanding membership/connecting with Wikipedians

  • Banners: Geonotice & meta.banner
    • Use banners more often.
    • Do trial run during September to advertise meetups.
    • Use banner for Stellenbosch event next Sunday.
    • Use for everyday events: WLM is being generally advertised via banner ads, and in South Africa, the banner links to our website.
  • Mailing list isn't enough. It is important but not in terms of local membership.
  • Maarten tried to reach Afrikaans Wikimedians on http://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Geselshoekie - not much interest in the WC region.
  • Facebook and mailing list are useful; people are used to that channel, and we are very approachable (more then on a wiki)
  • Isla mentions that we can't rely on technology to reach everyone: can miss a whole group of people that way. Iberocoop might have some lessons for us, as might India. Can we post banners to readers, not just editors, on South African languages?
  • Bobby might have some ideas on our communications strategy.
  • Dumisani has done some radio interviews.
  • Activate universities: find the editors in universities. Isla has contacts in UCT, but we should also find contacts in other universities: UNW, UCT, UWC, Wits, etc! Isla and Douglas to work on this, but additional help very welcome.
  • Departments of African Languages at universities. Isla will ask an intern to create a database of contacts.
  • TAC did a project in 2012 with UCT's Center for African Studies and the Center for the Archive. Including writing WP article as coursework. It's also a source of natural editors.
  • We need a Strategy Session (get a professional strategist and/or activate Inter-chapter initiatives (training, etc.)), and we should see if WMF program can also assist.

Wiki Loves Monuments 2013


  • Additional R2,000 for prizes: should it be used for additonal prizes or to increase existing prizes?
    • A prize for best nomination of new monument will be given.
  • Heritage Western Cape
    • Commitment from HWC to be gotten in writing.
    • They have the MOU, but have not yet confirmed. Will discuss this evening.
  • Vouchers: Cameria SA vs Orbis

Social development

  • "Nominate a Monument" as part of Social Development drive. Use triple zero, or "new" when uploading non-SAHRA registered sites
  • Nominations to be shared with SAHRA, they will check if it can be added as new monument.
  • David created nominate@wikilovesmonuments.co.za


  • Western Cape
    • WC Heritage: use libraries for WLM uploads
  • Other provinces
    • Maarten to ask Peter to organise the KZN.
    • Send a call out for organisers on facebook.

Events and projects for 2013/2014


Goals include setting a "Global South" agenda for Africa

Flights in Africa are overpriced, but expenses compared very favourably with Wikimedia Conference ("Chapters conference") - our cost was about half, for the same number of people for the same number of days, so it's not an issue of cost, just a question of whether we have a mandate from African Wikimedians. We're currently collecting signups from across Africa.

Andy was not aware of WikiIndaba. We need to find out how to better connect to potential attendees. We also need to make it easy for people to sign up to WMZA mailing list

Our first grant submission was declined because of lack of indication of interest in the conference. We need to re-submit by the end of Sept, with as many community members listed as possible.

Wikimania 2015

  • Bid application: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2015_bids/Cape_Town
  • Call for organising team
  • Next steps
    • ICC booked
    • Wesgro assisting with sourcing of sponsorship and letters of recomendation
    • Dumisani to follow up with Nhlanhla on letters of recommendations from DoE and DAC.
    • Follow up on visa assistance nationally.
  • Theme: "Bridging divides" suggested (socio-economics, anthropology, innovation. expanding wikipedia and expanding content.)


  • Organise remainder of event after WLM 2013
    • Ask WMUK to fund difference in cost on plaques
    • Drive installation of remainder of plaques
  • Organise Cape Town WikiCity: CapediA?

Wikimania 2014

We should drive an Africa agenda: make Africa part of the program and not assigned to a separate track. Also to create a bit of a 'show' aound Africa : Africa Party? South Africa House? Africans doing charity work for The Poor of London? Activating our diaspora?

Create a project for Afri-thon - a two day edit-a-thon for content relating to Africa harnessing the diaspora; existing or potential new editors.

Douglas has contacts with the London organisers and will contact them in this regard.

Election of 2013/2014 Wikimedia ZA directors

  • Dumisani Ndubane is re-nominated as president by Douglas
    • Seconded by Isla; no disapprovals: so decided.
  • David Richfield is re-nominated as secretary and director.
    • Isla seconds; no disapprovals; so decided.
  • Maarten Deneckere is re-nominated as director: David nominates Maarten as International liason
    • Dumisani seconds this.; no disapprovals; so decided.
  • Douglas Scott nominated by Dumisani as head of projects
    • Maarten seconds; no disapprovals; so decided.
  • Isla Haddow-Flood is nominated by David as a director. Proposed role: National liaison and community activation. (details TBC)
    • Maarten seconds; no disapprovals; so decided.
  • Bobby Shabangu is nominated by Dumisani as director and media liaison.
    • David seconds; no disapprovals; so decided.

David to contact Mohau to request clarification about whether he would like to continue to serve on the board.

Next Meeting

To be arranged via mailing list.


Board member Signature Date
Maarten Deneckere 12 August 2013
Dumisani Ndubane 12 August 2013
Douglas Scott 12 August 2013
David Richfield 12 August 2013
Personal tools

Get Involved