Minutes of Wikimedia South Africa Annual General Meeting, 2013
The meeting was held at Truth Coffee, at the Prestwich Place Memorial in Cape Town. The Memorial is located at the corner of Buitengracht St and Riebeek St, Cape Town. David Richfield and Maarten Deneckere were present via Skype™
- 1 September 2013 at 10:00 - 12:00
- Maarten Deneckere (via Skype™)
- Dumisani Ndubane
- Douglas Scott
- David Richfield
- Isla Haddow-Flood
- Andy Rabagliati (User:wizzy)
- David Robert Lewis (User:Ethnopunk)
- Alan Levin (joined at 11:17) Chairman and founding member of Internet Society Of South Africa (ISOC-ZA)
Review and approval of agenda
Approval of previous meeting minutes ([])
Meeting has a quorum
State of Wikimedia ZA
Nature of relationship between Africa Centre and Wikimedia ZA
The previous MOU was written in 2012, and lapsed in Dec 2012. Since then it has not been renewed or discussed.
Discussion of Isla's role
At the last board meeting, it was proposed that Isla be put forward as a WMZA director, along with Bobby Shabangu. Her proposed role was discussed as follows:
Isla would be wearing two hats: passion for WM movement as well as work with The Africa Centre (TAC). TAC has an Africa-wide agenda and supports the work on the African continent. WMZA has a national agenda, but is in a position to support and assess new groups across africa. WikiAfrica is an international collaboration along with Universities and other organisations which work to create content on Africa, and is therefore aligned with the strategy of WMZA.
TAC was managing money for WMZA, which was constructive in terms of building confidence with the WMF. Isla will propose an updated MOU, but as director of WMZA, will abstain from voting on the MOU. She will however not be barred from other votes.
Discussion of relationships with other organisations
Alan mentioned that ISOC-ZA was initially funded through membership fees, but from 2000, they sold platinum memberships (to companies) to raise funds, and were therefore not a pure civil society any more, as they were now influenced by industry. They are partly funded by the IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force), and .org registry fees are their main source of income. ISOC-ZA has similar goals to WMZA (e.g. openness, interoperability) - neither of us want to be controlled by industry, and we have strong industry players in SA.
We also have similar structures, so Alan has shared experiences on national, regional, global levels. One can easily spend lots of effort on fundraising, but in his experience, money will come if the project is well planned.
Alan also suggested that WikiAfrica should have a representative on WMZA and potentially other regional boards.
Isla recommends that we support each other, and have formal alliances with aligned organisations.
Alan recommends that ISOC and WMZA co-market each other's events.
David mentions that WMZA can market ISOC events on social media pages - Isla and Douglas explain that we can only use geonotices on Wikipedia for events that are specific to Wikimedia work.
Further discussion on types of geonotices followed. Douglas: explained that there are two types:
- Dedicated editors and target specific areas using ISP address blocks. We have not found these very effective.
- Another type can be set up by an administrator on Meta. It can be targeted to countries but not more specific than that. This is effective. It would be useful if WMZA can have an admnistrator on Meta, but this isn't necessary. Douglas has built up contacts who can help quickly.
Isla proposes that we create formal alliances with like minded organizations (Commons ZA, OEZA) through Memoranda of Understanding.
Maarten requests confirmation of whether organisations can become members of WM ZA. David clarifies that organisations can join as per paragraph 4.4.5 of our articles of association. This is a membership, but other types of collaboration are possible, e.g. the proposed joint marketing, joint financial management, etc. Depending on the arrangement, it can be arranged by MoU, email, or minutes of meetings (depending on importance)
This kind of connection shoud be managed by a specific member of WMZA to provide continuity.
David explains that we have received an updated list of directors, but it has duplicates, and Lourie appears three times. David did not update it to exclude Lourie, and a new request will cost us R750 through Snijder & Associates. This cost was approved by the members present. In the meantime, David and Dumisani will take the updated list to FNB on Monday to get Charlene removed as a signatory.
Maarten suggests that we also investigate credit card and other means of payment like PayPal.
Dumisani suggests that we consider another service provider for company registration and financial services. Isla and Douglas to find an alternative to handle these matters. An accounting firm might prove more efficient.
Alan mentions that ISOC isn't a registered NPO: it's a voluntary association. It's only responsible to its members, not registered as a company.
Approval of expenses
Isla: Approvals need to happen faster. Need responses in reasonable time.
Maarten: Code_of_discipline_for_directors needs to be corrected. New recommendation is approved:
- Under 1,000 ZAR: BOARD MEMBER. Administrative support by (deputy) TREASURER1
- Under 10,000 ZAR: REQUESTER + other BOARD MEMBER + (deputy) TREASURER
- 10,000 ZAR or more: BOARD approval
Douglas: Grant application can be found at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:WM_ZA/2013_OSF_bridging_funding
We have a capcity constraint, and OSF was willing to help. The plan is to employ 1 person. One director to manage this person; hold them accountable, train and integrate into WMZA.
In August, the OSF sent Douglas an email to confirm that we got a R200k grant (half what we applied for) if we raise a matching R200k. We hope to raise the remaining funds from the WMF: Douglas has been in contact with them. The draft is finished, needs feedback from the rest of the WMZA board.
Comment from Alan: The Foundation for Internet Development was funded by previous .co.za domain admins. FID hasn't had strong leadership, and the money is eroding quickly now. They need new leadership, and WMZA can help. ISOC would support us if we applied for a community grant from them. We would be able to put the cost of trips, AGM, etc, into this document (for example some costs related to WikiIndaba). Funding staff members' salaries is less preferred by funding agencies, due to potential HR issues - e.g. ISPA is outsourced to Future Foundation (ff.co.za) WAPA have outsourced their management to ellipsis (internet lawyers) - ellipsis also does the outsourced management for some organisations.
This would not align with our grant application to the OSF, though.
GAC vs FDC - Project grants vs programme grant (annual). GAC doesn't pay for staff. After a few successful projects, we'll be able to apply for FDC funding.
Douglas requests that all board members look at the grant application today and comment, then we will collaborate with the GAC to get a response.
Updates from Wikimania 2013
- Meetings with African Wikimedians
- Constructive discussions post Global South Strategy:
- Sub-Saharan Africa not a priority
- Strong support from other African Wikimedians to respond to this.
- Constructive discussions with WMF role players in terms of what can be done.
- 10 African countries represented at Wikimania
- WikiIndaba discussions
- Constructive discussions post Global South Strategy:
- Strong support for Wikimania Cape Town 2015 (including London bid member)
- Activating Africa Panel
- Joburgpedia presentation
- Wikipedia Zero discussion and film (by Victor): huge emotional connection with Wikimania attendees.
Expanding membership/connecting with Wikipedians
- Banners: Geonotice & meta.banner
- Use banners more often.
- Do trial run during September to advertise meetups.
- Use banner for Stellenbosch event next Sunday.
- Use for everyday events: WLM is being generally advertised via banner ads, and in South Africa, the banner links to our website.
- Mailing list isn't enough. It is important but not in terms of local membership.
- Maarten tried to reach Afrikaans Wikimedians on http://af.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Geselshoekie - not much interest in the WC region.
- Facebook and mailing list are useful; people are used to that channel, and we are very approachable (more then on a wiki)
- Isla mentions that we can't rely on technology to reach everyone: can miss a whole group of people that way. Iberocoop might have some lessons for us, as might India. Can we post banners to readers, not just editors, on South African languages?
- Bobby might have some ideas on our communications strategy.
- Dumisani has done some radio interviews.
- Activate universities: find the editors in universities. Isla has contacts in UCT, but we should also find contacts in other universities: UNW, UCT, UWC, Wits, etc! Isla and Douglas to work on this, but additional help very welcome.
- Departments of African Languages at universities. Isla will ask an intern to create a database of contacts.
- TAC did a project in 2012 with UCT's Center for African Studies and the Center for the Archive. Including writing WP article as coursework. It's also a source of natural editors.
- We need a Strategy Session (get a professional strategist and/or activate Inter-chapter initiatives (training, etc.)), and we should see if WMF program can also assist.
Wiki Loves Monuments 2013
Additional R2,000 for prizes: should it be used for additonal prizes or to increase existing prizes? A prize for best nomination of new monument. Heritage Western Cape Commitment from HWC to be gotten in writing. They have the MOU, but have not yet confirmed. Will discuss this evening. Voulchers: Cameria SA vs Orbis Social development: Nominate a Monument as part of Social Development drive? Use triple zero, or "new" when uploading non-SAHRA registered sites Nominations to be shared with SAHRA, they will check if it canbe added as new monument David created email@example.com Events Western Cape Other provinces Maarten to ask Peter to organise the KZN. Send a call out for organisers on facebook.
- WC Heritage: use libraries for WLM uploads
Events/projects for 2013/2014 WikiIndaba Setting a Global South™ agenda for Africa Flights in Africa are (really) overpriced. Expenses compared very favourably with Wikimedia Conference ("Chapters conference") - our cost was about half, for the same number of people for the same number of days. So not an issue of cost, just a question of whether we have a mandate from African Wikimedians. Collecting signups from across Africa. Andy was not aware of WikiIndaba. Problem is how to connect to potential attendees. We need to make it easy for people to sign up to WMZA mailing list Need to re-submit by the end of Sept, with as many community members listed as possible. Wikimania 2015 Bid application & theme: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2015_bids/Cape_Town Call for organising team Next steps ICC booked Wesgro assisting with sourcing of sponsorship and letters of recomendation Dumisani to follow up with Nhlanhla on letters of recommendations from DoE and DAC. Follow up on visa assistance nationally. Bridging divides, socio-economics, anthropology, innovation. expanding wikipedia and expanding content. JoburgpediA Organise remainder of event after WLM 2013 Ask WMUK to fund difference in cost on plaques drive installation of remainder of plaques CapediA GLAM African Language Wikis WLM 2014: Wikimania 2014: Africa agenda Make Africa part of the program and not assigned to the separate track. Also to create a bit of a 'show' aound Africa : Africa Party? South Africa House? Africans doing charity work for The Poor of London? Activating our diaspora? Create a project for Afri-thon - a two day edit-a-thon for content relating to Africa harnessing the diaspora; existing or potential new editors. Douglas is happy to talk to the London organisers.
Election of 2013/2014 Wikimedia ZA directors Nominations: Dumisani re-nominated as president by Douglas Seconded by Isla; no disapprovals: so decided. David re-nominated as secretary and director. Isla seconds; no disapprovals; so decided. Maarten re-nominated as director: David nominates Maarten as International liason Dumisani seconds this.; no disapprovals; so decided. Douglas nominated by Dumisani as head of projects Maarten seconds; no disapprovals; so decided. Douglas accepts nomination David nominates Isla as a director. National liaison and community activation. (details TBC) Maarten seconds; no disapprovals; so decided. Dumisani nominates Bobby Shabangu as director and media liaison. David seconds; no disapprovals; so decided. David to contact Mohau to request clarification around his commitment. The Wikimedia ZA Chapter.
Update on Directors registrations (CIPRO)
Projects and Outreach for 2013
|Dumisani Ndubane||12 August 2013|
|Douglas Scott||12 August 2013|
|David Richfield||12 August 2013|