DRAFT CHAPTERS CONFERENCE REPORT
Standardization and Document Management
- Drupal Is an open source CMF that easily ports CiviCRM that is useful to manage members, donations and Financial Audit.
- Tine 2.0 is an alternative to dropbox. WMCH uses this software tool to keep documentation.
- Back up of data is important.
- Explore possibility of sharing resources with other chapters.
- Experiment with Vidoeconf tool developed and managed by WMCH to allow online video conference meeting.
Small Grant Programs
- Review of Small granting system for WMF.
Global South Issues
- Movement recognition and validation? How chapters can build financial trust with WMF?? How long it takes for individuals to form Organizations.
- Capacity building: requires long term commitments. Mentoring and support.
- Metrics of Success: Headcount?
- Notability: How many speakers should a language have to be viable for Wikimedia?
- Editor creation mentality different. Users to be targeted during reachout projects and not to wait for them. Social change agents (how to compensate these for expenses?).
- Oral Citation project + Tool was shelved as it is thought that it has too much problems. Check with Achal Prabala with regards to reviving this project.
There was a discussion about groupings that could have different relationships with the WMF than being a registered chapter, namely user groups, thematic organisations and Movement Partners.
- User groups are groups of Wikimedia users who share some connection, for example geographical, cultural, or special interest. They would not be recognized if they were in conflict with, or attempted to duplicate the work of, an existing chapter, or if their goal was to push a point of view (e.g. a political party user group). They would also be a lighter form of organisation: they would not need to be registered non-profit organisations, and therefore would not have some of the rights of chapters (e.g. trademark use)
- Thematic organisations can be formed and operated in a way similar to how chapters currently work, and could have a very similar relationship to the WMF, including use of trademarks, but would differ from chapters by not being country or regional groupings: they might be language or cultural organisations, for example.
- Movement Partners would be organisations like OpenStreetMap who share many of our aims, but are separate entities with different projects.
There was significant discussion of the roles and division of these types of organisation, and this discussion will be continued at Wikimania in Hong Kong.
Different kinds of grant making programs for WMF.
- IEG- Individual Engagement Grant
- This grant is useful for individual Wikimedia projects. A team up to 4 people.
- Consider grant making here for (Royal Families of Southern Africa)?? - get a team to do research writting on royal families.
- Next phase is Sept - Oct 2013.
- Put up ideas in an Idea Lab.
- Max $ 30 000.
- Grant and GAC
- Temporary staff accepted for more than 3 months and no more than 6 months.
- Tempoaray project managers accepted. Personnel predominantly not a Wikimedian?? Impact it would have in a community involved.
- Tempoaray funding for a physical space can be looked at but physical office should go through FDC.
- Reporting is important.
- FDC funded entities can apply a grant for Lobbying through WMF (GAC).
- Impact and program evaluation. Is evolving.
- FDC Grant
- WMZA chapter is now eligible for this grant. A discussion with board members on whether it is a good idea to apply for one yet is to be organised.
Keeping chapter volunteers active
This discussion focused on how to reduce the loss of chapter members through burn-out, loss of interest, personal conflict, etc. The meeting was facilitated through the use of a mind-map (picture here)
(discussion to follow)
Notes on lobbying progress for WMZA projects.
- This project is receiving good response in terms of support required. See budget page for details.
- WMF (Asaf) really loved the idea of a African Wiki Conference, to be held in conjunction with WLM Gala. We should definately go ahead with this idea.
- Brazil intends to bid for Wikimania 2015, so it will be a tough competitor and we must be prepared.