From Wikimedia ZA
Revision as of 11:44, 24 January 2014 by Theresa
- WIKI INDABA 2014 - SOUTH AFRICA
- Wikimedia South Africa plans to host a "Wiki Indaba" which will be an annual conference for African Wikimedia Chapters (Recognised/In Formation) and mission aligned Thematic groups operating in the African continent.
- Access to mobile devices is on the increase in Africa and is expected to intensify in the next few years, increasing Africa's on-line presence. In order to take advantage of this projected growth, it is therefore important to establish and strengthen Wikipedia and Wikimedia structures in Africa.
- The establishment of Wikimedia regional co-operations in regions such as Latin America, India and Asia, has supported the progressive and systematic growth of awareness and coverage of Wikipedia in these regions. This conference is the first step towards the establishment of African co-operative structures and organs made up of Wikimedia Chapters, Wikimedians and mission aligned Thematic Organizations.
- The aim of this project is to facilitate co-operation and forge links among African Wikimedia Chapters and Thematic groups through direct meetings and dialogue. This will also assist in increasing Wikipedia coverage and footprint in Africa. This is the first regional conference to be held by and for African chapters in Africa, the region of the world with the lowest Wikipedia coverage.
- One of the Wikimedia Foundation strategic plan for 2015, is:
Support healthy diversity in the editing community by doubling the percentage of female editors to 25 percent and increase the percentage of Global South editors to 37 percent
- We believe that active chapters are central to the realisation of this goal. We hope that Wiki Indaba 2014 will begin the much needed regional dialogue for chapters to start collaborating and reviewing each other. If you believe the same thing please show your support on the project page here