The chapter has been formed as a Section 21 Company under South African law. The relevant articles are here:
|Decide on a legal structure.||Done||Tobias to report back.||Done|
|Draft the constitution with input from local Wikipedians.||2 months||Administration team. Please see the relevant page.||Done|
|Send constitution to WMF and discussion process leading to final approval.||2 months||Administration team and TACP.||Done|
|Appoint/agree/vote for directors.||2 to 4 weeks||Members. See Directors||Done|
|Register the Chapter locally.||2 months||The African Commons Project.||Done|
|Develop Wiki presence.||2 to 4 weeks||Administration team and TACP.||Done|
|Public launch.||Planning 2 months (planning can commence during registration)||Still to be decided.||Done|
Wits Workshop 2010
All the information regarding the Wits Workshop of 2010 is moved to the following page: Wits_Workshop.
Wikimania 2012 Bid
Charlene, Kerryn, Ian, Lourie and David put together a bid to host Wikimania 2012 in Stellenbosch. The bid page is located here: Stellenbosch. The bid process was instructive, but we were beaten by an excellent bid by Washington DC.
Let's look at the feasibility for hosting a regional Wiki conference. Following the South African team's almost-successful bid for Wikimania 2012, it might be a great idea to put that thinking towards hosting a regional conference in 2012 so that it builds momentum and consolidation on the African continent - where there are pockets of people working who don't necessarily know one another. See the following page for a more detailed discussion: Wikimedia South Africa/Regional conference.
- The process has stopped and stalled a few times before, but began again in earnest in May 2010, with assistance from Achal Prabhala, who helped with a similar process in India, Nhlanhla Mabaso and the African Commons Project.
- A workshop was held at Wits on August 7 and 8 2010, resulting in the initial timeline, and much of the draft vision, purpose and possible initiatives.
- The administrative team held a meeting on 15 January 2012 to discuss the way forward. The minutes are located here: AdminMeeting1.
Jan 2011 Press release
David created a draft press release for the 10th birthday celebrations. Please take a look and make suggestions: Jan 2011 press release draft.
- UCT Blog on Wikimedia South Africa workshop (mpaskevi - 19 August 2010)
- Northern Sotho Wikipedia needs help (greenman - 18 August 2010)
- Wikimedia kicks off SA chapter (itweb - 13 Aug 2010)
- Wikipedia wants South Africans to contribute (Memeburn - 12 August 2010)
- SA to get Wikimedia Chapter (MyBroadband - 11 August 2010)
- Wikimedia South Africa workshop (greenman - 9 August 2010)
- Wikipedia 10th birthday celebrations in SA (MyBroadband - 11 January 2011)
- Wikipedia celebrates its 10th anniversary with 300+ events (Memeburn - 14 January 2011)
- Happy birthday Wikipedia (Bizcommunity - 12 January 2011)
- SA to get Wikipedia chapter (Techcentral - 24 January 2011)
- Wikimedia SA chapter now official (MyBroadband - 28 March 2011)
- South African Wikilove (WikiLove India - 30 March 2011)