Small Project Support
Wikimedia South Africa proposes in 2013 a budget of R ##### available to a number of small to support projects that fit within the objectives of Wikimedia South Africa. The Board invites both members and others involved in the Wikimedia projects to submit projects.
Proposals for small projects must meet a number of conditions to be eligible for funding:
- The objective of the small project must fall within the objectives of Wikimedia South Africa
- The proposals are made by a person or persons who are demonstrably involved in the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation within the South African languages (including related languages and dialects)
- The proposal includes a description of the project, a timing schedule, a budget, the names of the persons who will carry out small projects, and a rough estimate of the time commitment of these individuals.
- The support is capped on R1,500 for projects in English and R2,000 for projects in other languages.
- All communication is in English.
Subsequently, the Board shall decide on the granting of the subsidy and communicate the decision within 4 weeks to the requester(s) of the small project. The board shall, if necessary, help with the implementation of the project.
The persons carrying out the project report regularly on progress.
Upon completion of the project the results are communicated with the board of Wikimedia South Africa.
Below are some examples for possible small projects.
Writing competition for the Xhosa Wikipedia
- Goal: Organise a article competition on the Xhosa Wikipedia. We ask Wikimedia South Africa to support the competition with a price, and to refund the cellphone costs of the organiser, and the postal costs to send the price to the winner.
- Timing: the competition will run in November. Selection of the winners on the first of December. I will send the price around the 5th of December.
- Budget: R1,000 price, R150 postal costs, R200 airtime. Total: R1,350.
- People involved: 1 person will work on this for 3 hours