Board Meeting 13 October 2020
From Wikimedia ZA
Wikimedia ZA - Board Meeting 13 October 2020
- Wynand van der Walt
- Michael G
2020 Annual General Meeting
- Set a date: 28 November 2020
- Time: 10:00 with elections after lunch intermission
- Notify everyone of the date - DOUGLAS
- Suggestions for a good meetup system
- Adri suggests Zoom as it works well on bad connections and allows for recording. Also allows for live streaming to YouTube.
- Bobby concurs and also suggests MS Teams
- Motion pased to purchase Zoom for the AGM. The WMF is happy to pay for the expense and then we have it available for the year, and can vote to continue using it in future.
- Online or Offline? The Foundation hasn't given us the go ahead for face-to-face meetings, so we'll need to go ahead with an online meeting.
- IAN to contact Reuben to check if there were any notes put down wrt how to run the elections.
- Review notes on specific requirements like quorum, number of ppl on the board. See http://wikimedia.org.za/wiki/Article_of_Association - ADRI
- To discuss at the AGM - the possibility of including a board position from other partners
African Language support
- Bobby has settled a date with UKZN and signed an MOU for 3 edit workshops and a writing competition (prize to be decided). First workshop to happen at the end of October, the rest in November. The local book club has been invited. They have 2000 members
- AFLIA has reached out to Bobby to introduce them to SADEC Wikipedians. A series of edit workshops will be setup.
- Iziko museum: A draft email has been setup, but not sent. They want to do a LGBTQ+ edit workshop. There are a lot of photos that can be uploaded to Commons and then create articles around these events and people. A one year MOU has been signed.
- Wynand suggests that we involve Twin Mosia (https://www.facebook.com/twin.mosia) as he is involved in Oral History.
- Archives - Bobby to follow up with Pulenbg Kekana
- MOU with Moleskin Foundation: Michael is still corresponding with Papa and will remind him of the MOU.
- Goethe Institue is organising a hackathon wrt Open Source Knowledge / Open Cultural Data. The opening went well and Bobby was one of the panelists. Michael found it unsatisfactory as the session started lated, but it had to end on time. He has signed up to be a mentor for the hackathon, but it doesn't look like any of the output is related to Wikimedia.
- Douglas to post the advertisement for the sole proprietor position. Adri to cross post where needed.
- firstname.lastname@example.org has been setup as a mailbox where all applications can be sent to.
From 25 August to 13 October:
- Twitter: 1609 followers -> 1624
- Facebook (English): 984 follows (896 likes) -> 989 (896)
- Facebook (Afrikaans): 663 members -> 685
- Mailing list (Afrikaans): 316 members -> 316
- Mailing list (English): 258 members -> 258
- Instagram 180 Followers -> 189
- Meetup: 130 members -> 136
- YouTube: 52 subscribers -> 52
- Zulip: 34 users -> 35
- Wynand asked to present an e/merge Africa (https://emergeafrica.net/) webinar in November for an hour on Wikimedia in education. This fits in perfectly with request to Bobby and Wynand regarding strategic approach to educational institutions.
- Wikipedian of the Year will be announced on Thursday: https://diff.wikimedia.org/2020/10/01/coming-soon-the-2020-wikimedian-of-the-year-live-event/
- Research Grant - no feedback at this stage - Wynand