Board Meeting 19 May 2020
From Wikimedia ZA
Wikimedia ZA - Board Meeting - 19 May 2020
- Douglas - (left meeting early)
- Grant Proposal - Done and submitted.
- Papa Baiden from Afrocuration
Papa Baiden from Afrocuration
- Papa has a proposal from the Moleskin foundation to enhance content on Wikimedia.
- It seeks to do so by adding data relating to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Papa is recruiting members to help contribute to the cause.
- Douglas suggests that in addition to our connections, we can also introduce Papa to other Chapters like
- Deutshland, NY, DC and Netherlands as they may have many more editors who will want to contribute
- Ameer, who is a verteran editor may be able to help setup incubator wikipedias
- The aim is to gather information on emergency response.
- There is a knowledge gap on African languages.
- Public facing campaign started to gather translators in order to translate into different African languages.
- Goal: Spread the information across Africa, focusing over 11 main languages.
- First: Start with 10 articles in these 11 languages.
- We need to be creative in our problem solving so the 10 articles is the first and most NB step
- List of languages: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZzDQh4hu182YsMY2-cWg0QO_d17HKVJVgEOAQL3Z8AQ/edit#gid=0
- Papa has spoken to Ameer, Rudolf and Pau tp see which Wikis exist and which need to be created.
- As many languages as possible are welcome, but the 11 main languages are the focus.
- Main ask: Can we help Papa get a complete set of 10 articles done in the 11 languages.
- Deon and Rossouw are opposed to using the Translation Tool
- Michael is for using the Translation tool as a first stop in order to help who ever then takes the translation to completion.
- Adri: We can contact our community in order to find native speakers and help with any necessary training.
- Deon recommends using Aliwal as he speaks North-Sotho. Michael has someone that he has been grooming who writes in Zulu. He'll confirm. And we have a lot of Afrikaans writers.
- Papa says that Pau and his team would appreciate our feedback on the translation tool.
- Rossouw raised the point that different Wikis have different templates and so the template is broken when it goes through the translation tool.
- Languages potentially covered so far: Afrikaans, North Sotho, Zulu
- Deadline: 5 June
- Maroela Media - Pushed out till next meeting
- Papa's contact details: email@example.com