Board Meeting 6 November 2018
From Wikimedia ZA
WMZA Board meeting
6 November 2018 | 18h30
- Rossouw (Jitsi Meet page kept crashing; followed on this etherpad; will have better connection in future. Apologies)
- Douglas (left at 19h00 to join WMF call)
- All new board members should have access to the basic infrastructure (wiki, email, whatsapp, zulip). Anyone with difficulties to contact Ian
- 1-grid have hugely increased their hosting fee and have not been responsive to queries
- Ian still investigating moving or improving this
Hiring Strategic Outreach & project manager and Admin assistant or an Executive Officer to do both
- Douglas: The foundation has made it clear that they will not fund the staff we proposed to hire. The main reason is that they have the impression that we are not a fully functional board.
- The impression is that the board is fully dependent on one or two people.
- Board and chapter needs to improve its reporting and engagement.
Board member roles
- Douglas has been president, no longer an option for the staff hire
- Douglas had to step out to join WMF call, so the rest of this discussion to be held later
- Discussion on current draft grant budget. Douglas requires feedback today due to his WMF deadline. Michael lodged a last-minute proposal for a hackathon early next year; Douglas proposed a ball-park event budget for it of R10 000
- Problems with current systems. Bookkeepers pay once a week, this is sometimes too slow (as in arrangements for AGM)
- Douglas/Bobby have to make personal payments, get reimbursed later. This is not ideal.
- Q) Why do we require bookkeepers to make payments instead of board members
- A) Previous financial processes were not good, payments were unaccounted for, not correctly allocated etc. Aim for better reporting and accountability
- Problem was particularly around ATM withdrawals
- To enquire about alternatives to the week delay (Bobby/Douglas)
- Bookkeeper statements are currently sent to Douglas, Bobby only. Should be sent to board mailing list (Bobby/Douglas)
- Agreement that a planning session to plan 1st quarter 2019 activities is needed, as getting everyone together at one time over voice is difficult with 9 board members and unreliable internet
- Move some of the discussion to Zulip where it can be broken down in chunks, open to all, not just board members
- Discussion on metric used for reporting South African languages in 2019 (articles, total editors, active edits), further discussion on Zulip
- Ran out of time, meeting closed at 19h30
Next board meeting
- To be discussed on Zulip